The importance of good personal hygiene cannot be stressed enough in today’s world, for both social and health reasons. You can keep a multitude of illnesses and infections at bay simply by keeping your hands and body clean. Plus, it benefits not just your own health but protect those around you as well.
Personal hygiene also has many social benefits. Chief among these is the reduction of such embarrassing conditions as body odour, because a person with good personal hygiene cares for the body and washes up regularly. Thus, the chances of sweat, infections and other problems does not arise at work or at school.
What does a good personal hygiene routine look like?
We know that a good personal hygiene routine is important to us for many reasons, but what is a good place to start? We’ve broken down some easy steps for you and your family to follow – these will help you stay clean and prevent any germs on the body from causing illness or unpleasant smells.
We recommend that the best place to start your personal hygiene routine is your hands. We use our hands constantly – we touch many different surfaces, shake hands with many people, prepare and eat our meals, type at work or play at school. So it is no surprise that our hands carry many germs.
You and your family can practice good hand hygiene and prevent illnesses such as cold, cough, flu and gastroenteritis. It is easy enough to stop the spread of potential illness-causing germs; just wash your hands regularly and thoroughly with water and Dettol Original Liquid Hand Wash. Wash your hands:
- Before eating or preparing your meals
- Before picking up your baby
- After using the restroom
- After coughing or sneezing in your hands, or being around an ill person
- After tending to pets
Good personal hygiene also involves dental care, which means you must look after your teeth to ward off gum disease, tooth decay and nasty infections. Make sure:
- You brush your teeth twice daily, and that your family does too.
- Floss every day
- Put your toothbrush away in a dry and clean place. Replace it regularly, especially after illness.
Do bathe every day using warm water and soap. You should shower twice a day during the summer or on days when you’ve been sweating profusely. Daily washing is important because:
- Bathing every day with soap such as Dettol Cool Bar Soap and warm water kills the bacteria on your skin responsible for body odour.
- Skin infections such as rashes and athlete’s foot can be reduced by carefully washing and drying the affected areas daily.
- Wash your hair at least once a week with shampoo and conditioner. This keeps the scalp clean and prevents the occurrence of head lice.
- A long day out of doors or being caught in sudden rain make your skin dirty – wash it clean with a soap like Dettol Gold Bar Soap.
Dirt and bacteria can linger on your clothes and cause infections. Your daily personal hygiene involves cleaning and washing your clothes as well. This is important if you have been ill or exposed to an ill person, or if you have been sweating. Your clothes can be cleaned hygienically by adding Dettol Antiseptic Liquid or Dettol Disinfectant Multi-Use Hygiene Liquid to your laundry to kill germs. Your clothes will then smell clean and fresh when you wear them.
Personal hygiene doesn’t have to be tough. A good daily personal hygiene routine quickly becomes a habit, so it is very important that you set a good example for your children to follow. You can encourage them to take care when it comes to their personal hygiene, too.