A happy home is a healthy home. And a healthy home is one that has good home hygiene at its heart. That means doing all you can to protect yourself and your family from diseases caused by bacteria.
Some bacteria can survive on surfaces for up to 24 hours. If these are on surfaces that you frequently come in contact with, then they can be a real hazard to your health. Obviously, you can’t kill every germ in your home but regularly cleaning and disinfecting these high risk areas (we call them ‘germ hotspots’) will help to protect you and your family from picking up or spreading potential illnesses caused by bacteria. The germ hotspots include:
In the kitchen:
- Kitchen sink and taps.
- Cleaning cloths and sponges.
- Worktop and cutting boards.
- Hand contact surfaces (kitchen, cupboard and fridge door handles, knobs and switches).
- Surfaces touched by pets or animals.
- Food and general waste bin.
- Fridge interior.
In the bathroom:
- Toilet seat and flush handle.
- Sink, shower and bathroom taps.
- Damp corners where mould and mildew can grow.
In the nursery:
- Changing mat and surrounding surfaces.
- Floor (if you have crawling children or toddlers) and play mat.
- Children’s toys.
In the living room and bedroom:
- TV remote control.
- Telephone handset.
- Light switches.
Using the appropriate Dettol products as part of your cleaning routine will help protect you and your family and give you that extra reassurance that these ‘hotspots’ represent a lower risk to your family's health.